Junior Road safety officers 2017 2018

I would like to introduce our new JRSO’s. They are very keen to get started, organising Road safety activities for you to enjoy this year. They have already made a start to this, as they attended the Lord Mayors parade in July!

Check out the Road safety display board, where they have both written a statement about themselves. And don’t forget – they are there for you – what road safety activity would you like to see this year?

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03

We are seeing stars at Tankersley!

Silver stars that is!  In January we were awarded the Bronze award in recognition of our hard work promoting Road safety in school .  During the summer we had some great news regarding the Modeshift stars award –  we have now achieved the Silver status. This is due to the number of Road safety events we have organised in school, but also due to a shift in how children travel to school. More children are coming to school on their bikes and are walking to school. We have 20% less children arriving by car – amazing results!

Keep up the active travel Tankersley and watch this space for upcoming events for this year.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03

Year 6 Bike ride to Wortley Hall – 25.7.17

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Year 6 had the opportunity to go on Tankersley first ever Bike ride. This was led by Sustrans, who planned the route to Wortley Hall.  The children had to ride on the road, in the woodland and on the Transpenine trail. It also involved a certain amount of pushing their bikes too!

Once they arrived, they had a picnic and ice cream from the post office. 

They were absolutely brilliant –  well done to all the children who took part.

 

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03

South Yorkshire staff and students enjoy opening of new shelter with bike breakfast…

courtesy of The Star

Children and staff at Tankersley St Peters Primary School will take part in a bike breakfast to celebrate the opening of their new cycle shelter organised by charity Sustrans.

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/education/south-yorkshire-staff-and-students-enjoy-opening-of-new-shelter-with-bike-breakfast-1-8666641

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03

Scooter Pod!

In June, ‘Bike it’ Dave challenged our school: For at least 50 children, to travel to school, on their scooters. We were amazed, as there were over 80 scooters! Our prize for this achievement, was a scooter storage pod worth £370.

The scooter pod has now arrived and is already fixed in place (thanks to Mr Beet), ready for the children to store their scooters.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03

BIKE BONANZA DAY -18.7.17

Official opening of the new Bike shelter, bike breakfast and bike repair workshop.
 
Tankersley have been very lucky to receive 80% funding, from SSTY through Barnsley council, to provide a new bike shelter for our school. Our Friends of Tankersley parents group fundraised at Christmas to provide the remaining 20%.
The children were very excited to use this along with our new scooter pod.
To celebrate, families were invited to a free bike breakfast and a free bike repair workshop, provided by Sustrans. They were entertained by the choir singing ‘on yer bike’.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 10.38.03